What is Default-Search.net?
If you see Default-Search.net website opening upon browser startup, it is very likely that your PC is hijacked by a malicious app. Default-Search usually takes over your browser’s settings without you knowing it and modifies your home page and search engine to default-search.net. The technique cyber criminals use to infiltrate users’ browsers is rather simple: they have software developers bundle an adware browser “add-on” along with some freeware program, paying that programs’ developers a small commision, which keeps the apps free. However, such “add-ons” do more harm than good. They redirect search queries through their own search engine, thus tracking everything that you search and tailoring advertisements according to your browsing habits. The amount of advertisements a PC user receives is significantly higher with a hijacker running than without. Also, due to its malicious nature, it may also automatically bring unwanted apps and even viruses installed in your PC.
It is very important that you get rid of Default-Search.net from your computer. If you can see Default-Search.net in Control Panel’s Programs and Features list, you should immediately run an uninstaller. However, you will also need to perform some manual tasks to completely get rid of the infection, or use a simple antispyware app to do everything for you.
How to remove Default-Search.net browser hijacker?
Automated Default-Search.net removal instructions
We recommend a dedicated anti-spyware app to completely erase all files related to Default-Search.net browser hijacker, as well as fix your browser. However, if you are an experienced computer user, you may follow our manual removal guide below in this page.
To download SpyHunter to fix your computer from Default-Search.net, please click on the button below:
- Install SpyHunter by double-clicking on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect Default-Search.net infection.
- Once it’s detected, you can remove Default-Search.net browser hijacker by registering SpyHunter. You will also have an active protection against such threats in the future.
Manual Default-Search.net removal instructions
Note: manual removal is only recommended to experienced computer users, because improper modifications to the Registry or browser’s settings may cripple your browser (or even your system), resulting in a need to reinstall it.
Please follow these instructions to delete Default-Search.net from your computer:
Go to Control Panel and open “Programs and Features” (or “Add/Remove Programs”). Find all entries named “Default-Search.net” and select “Uninstall”.
For Internet Explorer:
In the menu, select “Tools -> Manage add-ons”.
- Under “Toolbars and Extensions”, right-click on an entry with “Default-Search.net” in the name and select “Remove” or “Disable”.
- Under “Search Providers”, right-click on an entry with “conduit” or “Default-Search.net” in the name and select “Remove” or “Disable”. Right-click on your preferred search engine and select “Set as default”.
- In the menu, select “Tools -> Internet options”. Change the home page to your desired page and click OK.
For Google Chrome:
- Go to “chrome://extensions/” and remove all extensions that have “Default-Search.net” in the name by clicking on a recycle bin icon.
- Go to “chrome://settings/startup” and remove “Default-Search.net” from the list. Add your desired home page that you want loaded on Chrome startup.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Go to “about:addons”, select “Extensions” on the left, and remove all extensions that have “Default-Search.net” in the name by clicking “Remove” button.
- Go to “about:preferences”, select “General” and change your home page to your liking.
- Install SearchReset add-on from here. It will automatically restore your search engine to the default one.
Delete “Default-Search.net” folders from these locations:
Open Registry editor, find all entries (CTRL+F) containing “Default-Search.net” and remove them.
Should you have any problems removing Default-Search.net, don’t hesitate to drop a comment below or contact us directly on our contact page.