What is Linkey Project?
Linkey Project pretends to be a useful browsing companion, however, it is nothing more than an annoying browser infection, classified as a browser hijacker. Like most browser hijackers, Linkey Project installs itself silently along many free programs and affects all installed browsers, including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. You may notice a change of your homepage which may be set to linkeyproject.com. While running, Linkey Project can track your browsing behavior and any searches that you conduct through linkeyproject.com, resulting in a potential identity theft or privacy intrusion.
Developed by Aztec Media Inc., Linkey usually has its entry in Control Panel to remove the app. However, certain registry entries and files may still be left intact. It means that these remains must be removed manually or with special software, otherwise there will still be a risk of a possible regeneration of the infection or even personal data loss.
We strongly suggest that you remove Linkey Project from your computer as not only does it not add any value, but it is also slowing down your computer and your browsing experience. In the future, we advise that you carefully follow each step of a program installation, as such hijackers tend to be pre-selected for automatic installation. Also, at some point of an installation process, you may be requested to accept licence agreement. Carefully read on what your accepting, as sometimes you should rather hit “Disagree” button to prevent a hijacker installation, and still have the app you want installed.
How to remove Linkeyproject.com browser hijacker?
Automated Linkeyproject.com removal instructions
We highly recommend that you use a certified anti-spyware application to completely erase all traces of this infection. However, if you are an experienced computer user, you can try following our manual guide below in this page.
To download SpyHunter to fix your computer from Linkeyproject.com, please click on the button below:
- Install SpyHunter by double-clicking on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect Linkeyproject.com infection.
- Once it’s detected, you can remove Linkeyproject.com browser hijacker by registering SpyHunter. You will also have an active protection against such threats in the future.
Manual Linkeyproject.com removal instructions
Note: manual removal is only recommended to experienced computer users, because improper modifications to the Registry or browser’s settings may cripple your browser (or even your system), resulting in a need to reinstall it.
Please follow these instructions to delete Linkey Project from your computer:
Go to Control Panel and open “Programs and Features” (or “Add/Remove Programs”). Find all entries named “Linkey” and select “Uninstall”.
For Internet Explorer:
In the menu, select “Tools -> Manage add-ons”.
- Under “Toolbars and Extensions”, right-click on an entry with “Linkey” in the name and select “Remove” or “Disable”.
- Under “Search Providers”, right-click on an entry with “Linkey” in the name and select “Remove” or “Disable”. Right-click on your preferred search engine and select “Set as default”.
- In the menu, select “Tools -> Internet options”. Change the home page to your desired page and click OK.
For Google Chrome:
- Go to “chrome://extensions/” and remove all extensions that have “Linkey” in the name by clicking on a recycle bin icon.
- Go to “chrome://settings/startup” and remove “Linkey” from the list. Add your desired home page that you want loaded on Chrome startup.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Go to “about:addons”, select “Extensions” on the left, and remove all extensions that have “Linkey” in the name by clicking “Remove” button.
- Go to “about:preferences”, select “General” and change your home page to your liking.
- Install SearchReset add-on from here. It will automatically restore your search engine to the default one.
Delete “Linkey” folders from these locations:
Open Registry editor, find all entries (CTRL+F) containing “Linkey Project” and remove them.
Should you have any problems removing Linkey Project, don’t hesitate to drop a comment below or contact us directly on our contact page.