What is SmarterPower?
If you notice an increased number of advertisements while browsing the web, especially those which are tagged “SmarterPower Ads”, you’re definitely infected with a potentially unwanted program, classified as adware. Although not a virus, SmarterPower acts as one. It infiltrates your PC through various free applications or their downloaders and hijacks your internet browser to show you advertisements on certain websites. It may also track the sites you visit to tailor ads just for you.
The problem with adware like SmarterPower is that it installs itself as a service and is constantly running in your PC even if no browser is open. Therefore you may not see any malicious extensions in your browser’s settings, so that you could identify the bad guy and get rid of it. All modern browsers are affected by SmarterPower ads, including Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome.
How to remove SmarterPower browser hijacker?
Automated SmarterPower removal instructions
We highly recommend that you use a certified anti-spyware application to completely erase all traces of this infection. However, if you are an experienced computer user, you can try following our manual guide below in this page.
To download SpyHunter to fix your computer from SmarterPower, please click on the button below:
- Install SpyHunter by double-clicking on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- SpyHunter will automatically scan and detect SmarterPower infection.
- Once it’s detected, you can remove SmarterPower browser hijacker by registering SpyHunter. You will also have an active protection against such threats in the future.
Manual SmarterPower removal instructions
Note: manual removal is only recommended to experienced computer users, because improper modifications to the Registry or browser’s settings may cripple your browser (or even your system), resulting in a need to reinstall it.
Please follow these instructions to delete SmarterPower from your computer:
Go to Control Panel and open “Programs and Features” (or “Add/Remove Programs”). Find all entries named “SmarterPower” and select “Uninstall”.
For Internet Explorer:
In the menu, select “Tools -> Manage add-ons”.
- Under “Toolbars and Extensions”, right-click on an entry with “SmarterPower” in the name and select “Remove” or “Disable”.
- Under “Search Providers”, right-click on an entry with “SmarterPower” in the name and select “Remove” or “Disable”. Right-click on your preferred search engine and select “Set as default”.
- In the menu, select “Tools -> Internet options”. Change the home page to your desired page and click OK.
For Google Chrome:
- Go to “chrome://extensions/” and remove all extensions that have “SmarterPower” in the name by clicking on a recycle bin icon.
- Go to “chrome://settings/startup” and remove “SmarterPower” from the list. Add your desired home page that you want loaded on Chrome startup.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Go to “about:addons”, select “Extensions” on the left, and remove all extensions that have “SmarterPower” in the name by clicking “Remove” button.
- Go to “about:preferences”, select “General” and change your home page to your liking.
- Install SearchReset add-on from here. It will automatically restore your search engine to the default one.
Delete “SmarterPower” folders from these locations:
Open Registry editor, find all entries (CTRL+F) containing “SmarterPower” and remove them.
Should you have any problems removing SmarterPower, don’t hesitate to drop a comment below or contact us directly on our contact page.